5 Mistakes to Avoid When Moving
Change is the important constant nowadays. Moving to a new place is always exciting, but it’s never an easy task. It can also be a stressful time in case you make some common moving mistakes. Let’s have a closer look at the mistakes you can easily avoid.
Hiring A Cheap And Unknown Mover
Begin the search of movers beforehand. Not to become another victim of moving scams, make sure you’re hiring decent movers you can trust. As soon as you narrow down the search, do thorough reference checks. Collect the information from all available sources. You should know how to protect your move. Go to the US Department of Transportation and make sure the moving company has a number.
A moving company should definitely have license and insurance. Otherwise, you will have to pay in case anything unexpected happens during the move. Compare the provided estimates wisely. The cheapest offer is not always the best one. Being a professional in your area, would you do the job for the chickenfeed?
Before hiring the best movers, don’t forget to ask all the necessary questions to ensure they’re going to provide excellent services without any hidden surprises. Keep in mind that only professionals have the necessary experience and equipment to move all your belongings quickly without damaging them.
Not Leaving Some Stuff Behind
Consider the moving process as a great opportunity to get rid of some old and unnecessary things. There are definitely clothes you will never wear and books you aren’t likely to read again. Do you really need these boxes with old baby clothes? If you haven’t used or worn something for a year, it’s high time to give it away.
It is silly to take these things to your new place and throw them away later. Don’t spend money to move the things you will never need again. Organize a moving sale and buy something you really need for your new apartment.
Failing To Schedule And Plan Everything In Advance
Working the move into your busy life is a challenging task. In case you’re planning to move during the summer months, keep in mind that good moving companies will be booked very quickly. Call the movers you have chosen, and pick a day for your move weeks or even months before the planned date.
Making a detailed plan will make your move less stressful. Maybe some of your relatives or friends can help you to make all the checklists. It is crucial not to forget anything important. Determine how much time you have before the planned moving day. All this scheduling and planning will ease the moving process.
Failing To Have A Packing Strategy
People usually say that packing and unpacking their belongings takes the most of the time. Here are some important tips on packing:
- Pack everything as soon as possible.
- Involve your friends and family in the process.
- Start packing with the things you do not use often. If it’s spring now, pack your winter clothes.
- Do some extra wrapping for the breakable belongings.
- Label each box on at least two sides. Mark each box with its content and the room it should go to.
- Mark some boxes with “Fragile”, “Load Last” or “Do not load”.
- Make a list of boxes you have packed.
- Don’t pile the heavy boxes on top of the light ones.
- Don’t lift and carry the heavy stuff. That’s what you’re hiring movers for.
Not Packing A Survival Box
Pack a survival kit for the move-in day. It is crucial to have the most important things at hand. When you get in late, the last thing you will what is to climb a pile of boxes to find the things you need right here, right now. Take a look at our checklist:
- Bed sheets
- Some clothing
- Some basic tools, and also scissors to open the boxes you need first.
- Chargers for all your electronics
- A flashlight (just in case)
- Easy-to-make food, and some snacks
- Some plates, cups, and utensils
- Basic first-aid kit
- The blanket your baby can’t sleep without.
Avoid all the mentioned mistakes, and you will be able to settle into your new home without the unnecessary stress.