Moving is one of the most stressful life experiences. Let’s not make it any worse than it already sounds. Staying organized and making to-do lists are one of the top things in this process. And yes, moving also takes lots of packing. Start packing as soon as you know where you’re moving and know the date. Packing everything from the very beginning won’t make problems when you start unpacking. Anyway, let’s find out how to pack clothes for a move.
- Once you’re done with sorting all your belongings and getting rid of unwanted things, it’s time to get down to packing. The first things to be packed are winter and autumn clothes when it’s summer outside, extra towels, bedding, Christmas and other decorations, DVDs, video games, some toys, etc. These are the things you aren’t going to need during the next few months.
- When you have clothing in the dresser drawers, the options are to leave them in the drawers or remove and pack them into boxes. If you decide to leave them in drawers, place one or two sheets of packing or tissue paper on the top of the clothes in each drawer. This type of packing is suitable for moving from one apartment to another. But if you’re going to send your belongings to storage, it is recommended to pack them in cartons.
- Place them right next to the place when clothing is going to be packed, and start with lining the boxes with clean packing paper. Start from the bottom drawer, and move up your way up. Begin to empty each drawer by neatly placing the clothing into the carton. Before you empty the next drawer, place clean packing paper to cover the clothing of the first drawer. This will keep your clothes stay organized and make them much easy to unpack after the move. If there are any breakables in the drawers, pack them separately. Fill the box to its maximum, there should be no space left. When you’re finished, tape the carton shut. Don’t forget to label its contents it with a permanent marker.
- If you want to move the clothing with the drawers, this needs some extra attention. In case they have no locking mechanism, remove the drawers and wrap each one separately. If this option doesn’t seem suitable for you, secure the drawers so that they wouldn’t fall out during the move.
- Another useful tip in answering the question about how to pack clothes for a move is providing neat folding of every item so that more clothing could be packed into a box. You may underestimate the weight of clothes, so don’t pack them into large cartons, try to get 12X12 inch ones.
- Use your luggage in addition to various boxes. It’s a cheap and easy way to move your belongings.
- You’re most definitely going to pack some dishes and glasses, and they need extra packing. Use the clothing you wanted to throw away to wrap the necessary items. Add extra layers of clothing or tissue paper between the layers.
- Organize your clothing by group, season, and material.
- How to pack clothes for a move? Do your best to keep all you dresses, skirts, pants, etc. from getting wrinkled. There are wardrobe boxes with a hanging rack. Since they are quite expensive, buy only one or two.
- Another cheap and easy way to pack your clothes is using garbage bags. You can also purchase vacuum sealed bags for this purpose.
- Pack your clothing separately from shoes.
- Label every box.
Hope we have answered the question about how to pack clothes for a move. In case we have missed out anything important, you’re most welcome to share your thoughts in comments.